Wednesday 27 June 2012




             The Coldest Sales Call

It was the time, when I had just joined a company V-Tork Controls ( A valve manufacturer),I was travelling across various states to big public and private enterprises of different domains that includes JSW, Appollo tyres, Kochi Refineries..etc, I was a sales guy striving to get at least one order which will the first. I was in Mangalore travelling to Kudremukh Iron ore plant, thinking where to start whom to meet.
Finally I reached Kudremukh I could see no shops there, even a tea shop. I could see only huge walls, giant gates with five to six big security officers with gun in their hand. It was then I got a call from my boss… Sometimes securities are better than bosses. I went closer, there I saw a board in security office that has all the extension numbers of employees working there. Then I told that, I have an appointment with the purchase manager  to the security head and I told him the name of purchase manager which I heard from another sales guy near me, just a minute before.
The security told me to hold on for a minute, and then all of a sudden he gave me the  telephone saying that the purchase manager is in line. For me the crucial part was that I haven’t got his appointment till then . I heard a voice who is this, I told the same what I told the security to the manager, he told I don’t remember so. Then I affirmed that I got your appointment two days back please consider me sir, I have travelled all the way from Coimbatore to Mangalore. Then he told me to give the phone to security. I was tensed when the security  told me to get inside the company. I was a very excited, but the bad part was I coudnt express that. Its very difficult to enter into such a company as a student, as an aspirant but I am inside there as a sales guy.
I went to each and every department, being a mechanical engineer a little curious to know what is happening in the plant. Huge machineries, roller of the size of Giant wheelers running just closer to me, Captive power plants, Huge pipe lines, thousands of Valves which was our product. By then, only one thought struck my mind, Imagine if all these valves are of our brand. A thought of a typical sales guy,a little exaggerated but was the truth. I met some vendor development team members spend some time along with them inside the plant educating them about our product, meanwhile got educated from them. And the best part was , even though  I did something small I had a sense of accomplishment that I could able to forward some enquiries from Kudremukh to our company…

-

Suraj Kumar





No comments:

Post a Comment